We have reached the moment when our washing machine, after years of loyal service, since clear signs of impending failure and urges therefore the replacement. We flip through a catalog of home appliances or we go into a shop and we discover that there are dozens and dozens of models of all shapes and sizes. Which washing machine to choose? Here’s a helpful guide that will tell you how to do the purchase right washer for your home and your needs.
Purchase washing machine: the models on the market
Buying washing machine is an important step, especially given the cost of this appliance. Before you do it you must make a choice and disentangle the different models on the market. Washing machines can be of different types. Depending on where you find the door you need to insert the heads inside the basket, there are two types of washing machines, called:
- top load
- front loading
Depending on the size of the appliance and instead the capacity of its basket (usually expressed in kilograms), washing machines can be:
- space saving 45 cm wide, usually with capacity from 3 to 5 kg.
- around 60 cm in width, standard with capacity over 5 kg.
- extra large for large quantities of laundry, with a width of more than 60 cm, with a capacity of about 8-9 kg.
Front loading washing machine
This type of washing machine is usually a model of standard width or extra large, since for its distinctive features is of course wider and shallower. The physical characteristics of the front loading washing machine, ensure that it can be used in cases and particular ways:
can be installed under the top of the kitchen, to save space, or directly embedded into the rest of the furniture, in which case it is called washing machine built
is designed for installation in a column with a dryer, usually placed above the washing machine itself
If you do not experience the previous two cases, the washer may be used as an additional shelf for linens, detergent, etc
The benefits therefore of front loading are:
- a higher payload.
- the ability to leverage additional table tops (for objects or to a dryer in column).
Conversely the disadvantages of a front loading washing machine are:
- a peephole down should necessarily stoop to load it and download it.
- larger and sometimes bulky.
Top loading washing machine
Top loading washing machine, unlike the front loading is usually narrower and slightly deeper, but generally takes up less space. The opening upwards prevents further tops, but who has trouble bending over too far down.
But the most obvious disadvantage of this type is the ability to load, which never exceeds 5 kg and is sometimes even lower. So this is a type of washing machine that adapts well in apartments and small spaces, when to live there are 2 maximum 3 people.
Choose the washer
The features to consider when buying a washing machine, have already been listed, but it’s good to fix them separately from the rest.
The variables to be evaluated then before buying a washing machine are:
- position that can occupy in your home and the amount of laundry to wash normally, so we will choose a washing machine front load or top load, a compact, a standard or an extra large.
- power consumption of the washing, which is indicated on the product page (in the case of the washer-dryer is necessary to consider also the power consumption of drying, which can also be slightly lower than that of the wash, as for example in hot weather, we could let the heads to dry naturally).
- noise level of the appliance.
- number and quality of programme under the washer is equipped with, than those based on the optional ones.
centrifuge power and if this is fixed or variable (if variable is much better).
- design if you have special requirements, or if your washing machine will be placed in a particularly obvious.
Some brands that produce appliances, such as Smeg, are very attentive to the design of the latter and this also applies to washing machines. Colors, patterns, lines or curves can make a washing machine a single piece or very original, even in terms of aesthetics.
Read the data sheet of the washing machine
The data sheet contains the essential information to evaluate a certain pattern when possible purchase washing machine. This information may vary from one brand to another and from one product to another. However, the information that the data sheet should contain are:
- make and model.
- type (if front load or top load or washer dryer).
- load capacity in kilograms.
- washer dimensions in centimeters.
- centrifugal type, whether fixed or variable.
- centrifuge power, expressed in rpm, RPM.
- energy efficiency class from A to G, in later models also double A + or (in the case of a washer and dryer in the datasheet will be two energy classes, one for washing and drying).
- water consumption per wash cycle, in litres.
- noise expressed in decibels.
- special programs exist.
Major brands producing washing machines
Some of the most well known and established brands producing washing machines:
Among the products, washing machines and washer dryers is uniquely designed to search according to the features you want.
Among the products, washing machines and washer-dryer of any kind, from a leading brand.
- San Giorgio
Washer dryer and washing machine flush or freestanding, top loading or front loading, compact or extra large.